The University Licensing Department is responsible for:
- Providing the University with reliable, quality and highly personalized means of managing the use of University trademarks;
- Protecting and preserving the integrity of the University’s goodwill by:
- Assisting in the prevention of the unauthorized use of University trademarks;
- Ensuring authorized products bearing University trademarks are manufactured under acceptable working conditions by companies that have adopted the University’s Licensing Code of Conduct;
- Providing education and support to campus constituents, licensees, and retailers.
- Utilizing the goodwill established in University trademarks to generate revenue in support and within the guidelines of the overall mission of the University;
- Promoting the University’s image to the public at large, through use of University trademarks on products and in connection with services;
Tomi Gerhold, Director of Licensing
Tomi Gerhold joined the University in May 2000, serving first as Senior Administrative Assistant, followed by Licensing Specialist, then Associate Director, before assuming the position of Interim Director for the Licensing Department in 2016. As Director of Licensing, Tomi is responsible for managing the University’s Trademark Licensing Program, which was established in the early 1980s to protect and control the use of Notre Dame’s trademarks.
Tomi is also responsible for guiding the day-to-day operations of the University’s Licensing Program and for serving as a member of the Notre Dame Licensing Committee, which provides strategic oversight for the program. As Director of Licensing, she serves as the University’s primary liaison in managing the staff and resources provided by the University’s licensing agency, Fanatics Licensing Management.